Providing wholesome foods for our local community
The October 2017 Order Sheet is now available to download!
BEAM Mitchell Environment Group, together with the food eXchange offers a bulk food scheme to residents of the Mitchell Shire and surrounds. The Bulk Food Scheme will obtain local, Australian, organic (including bio-dynamic) and ethically produced foods at an affordable cost. You can download our Bulk Foods Flyer here.
This scheme is open to everyone in our community. Although not compulsory we do encourage participants to join BEAM as members. All BEAM Members are welcome to place an order but if you’re not a member you only need to complete a simple form.
The AIMS of the BBFS are to:
- Obtain better quality food direct from wholesalers and producers, thereby reducing ‘food miles’
- Reduce single use plastic packaging and waste
- Contribute to community resilience by building local food security
- Reduce reliance on the big supermarkets
- Meet other like-minded people and share knowledge about local foods, markets, recipes and other food-related activities
Responsibilities of Members
Our administrator is paid an honorarium to collate orders, liaise with suppliers and coordinate delivery of our goods. To meet the aims of the BBFS, we rely on participants getting involved where they can, and taking responsibility for:
- Ensuring orders are submitted by the due date
- Assisting with dividing up of orders on collection day, or assisting with other tasks such as delivery of goods to your friends or neighbours
- Ensuring that suitable storage containers are provided for your order if you can’t be there yourself.
Please note that we are aiming to avoid the use of single use plastic bags when packing orders. We ask that you invest in good quality storage containers in a variety of sizes that can be re-used indefinitely.
If you do not provide storage containers prior to collection day, we will charge an additional $10 packing fee.
Find the idea of buying in bulk a bit daunting? Then check out our tips here.