On Sunday 18th June, Broadford Land Management Group (BLMG) organised a planting day to complete the parkland link through Whiteman’s Reserve between Wandong Road and Sunday Creek begun in 1990. 31 people came to the planting day including members of Sunday Creek/Dry Creek Landcare Group and the 1st Broadford Scouts. 600 trees, shrubs, sedges and tussock grasses were planted.
Planting at the “new” Whiteman’s Reserve was one of the first activities of the newly formed Broadford Environmental Action Movement (later BEAM Mitchell Environment Group) in 1990 (see Broadford Community News August 1990 below). Bob Tomkins, a long-term member of the group, says that this corridor was part of a larger vision for wildlife corridors and walking trails proposed by Dr Colin Officer and other members of BEAM in 1995.
The project aimed to turn a drainage reserve full of weeds and piles of dredgings into an attractive parkland of native vegetation, with links between the golf course to Sunday Creek and downstream to Davidson Street. Funding has come from Mitchell Shire Council and more recently from a Goulburn Broken CMA Regional Riparian Action Plan Grant to complete the planting in Whiteman’s Reserve and replace the masses of woody weeds along Sunday Creek downstream to Broadford.
Many working bees later, and with great support from Mitchell Shire Council’s Environmental Programs staff, Whiteman’s Reserve is now a very attractive route for walkers in Broadford and a safe corridor for wildlife.
If you want to see a Powerpoint walk down the Reserve and listen to Lee McKenzie, President of BLMG, talking to Mark Perrott from Mitchell Community Radio (OKRFM at 98.3 Kilmore and 97.1FM in Wallan) during the planting day, please contact the Secretary of BLMG at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Apologies to those without Powerpoint – and please suggest an alternative format that is not 100MB in Youtube or similarly large file size).
From Broadford “Community News” Volume 2 No. 4 August 1990
Broadford Historical Society
A link to Queen Victoria
Broadford’s new public purpose reserve opposite the golf course is to be named Whiteman’s Reserve afer one of Queen Victoria’s gardeners.
John Whiteman was one of the very early settlers who owned land on the Sunday Creek Rpad near the site of the new reserve.
He worked as a gardener to Queen Victoria and his wife (nee Mary Edwards) was the niece of an eartl and as a child played with some of the relatives of the Queen. Apparently John Whiteman was advised to go to live in a warmer climate on account of his lungs, so in 1924, he with his wife and two children came to Melbourne; where they first camped on the banks of a creek which was later called Collins Street.
In the early 1940’s. the Whiteman family travelled north “about 50 miles” taking up land on the Sunday Creek near where Broadford is now. John established s vegetable garden, an orchard and ran cattle. Th aborigines stole their fowls and vegetables. Later they had a flower garden.
There were eight children in the family and there are still a number of their descendents in the area. Mary Whiteman dies in 1901 and is buried in the Broadford cemetery.
The “Whiteman Reserve” which drains towards Sunday Creek was recently planted with 200 trees by members of the Broadford Environmental Action Movement (BEAM).